Turf and Ornamental Specialist
James River Grounds Management
11551 Deerhill Lane , Midlothian , VA - 23112
The major objective of the Turf & Ornamental Specialist position is to perform ornamental and turf applications in accordance with daily production standards. This is achieved by positively motivating other team members through exemplary work habits, follow through of daily and weekly assignments set in partnership with management team, keeping them informed of progress and problems on the job site, ensure quality of work being performed according to JRGM standards, and follow through with accurate paperwork on a daily basis. The technician will also maintain a positive image for JRGM in the field and in the industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete turf and ornamental applications utilizing standard operating procedures within pre-set production timelines
- Organize equipment, materials and labor to efficiently complete projects set by your supervisor during the landscape and snow removal seasons.
- Mix and safely apply chemical according to product label specifications.
- While applying product to properties, observe and diagnose other needs. Notify the production team responsible for that property of your observations especially drastic changes to the site.
- Use independent judgment to develop creative solutions to problems that may arise in the course of a workday.
- Responsible for the timely submittal of timesheets, and other required recordkeeping.
- Performs general maintenance and maintains cleanliness and safety of the vehicle and any assigned equipment.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections of truck and trailer on a daily basis.
- Efficiently route and schedule work on a daily / weekly basis to insure applications are completed on a timely basis.
- Responsible for working in a safe manner and reporting any problems to Supervisor.
- Assist production team with inventory as needed.
- Provide feedback and suggestions for continuous improvement of standard operating procedures, equipment and material utilization, etc.
- Responsible for chemicals within branch to be properly stored, inventoried and labeled at all times
- Work with field managers to understand each job’s specific specifications
- Must be prepared to pass a VDACS inspection at any time both in the field and at the shop facilities
- During times that environmental conditions are not conducive to core responsibilities work under direction of branch manager to support pro
- Must have a current Registered Technician License CAT 60 through VDACS and working towards obtaining a commercial license 3A and 3B within one year of holding position.
- Identify pest problems and to safely mix and spray chemicals and fertilizers on our plants, trees, and turf to control weeds, diseases, insects and other pests.
- Posses the knowledge of the common practices, tools, and terminology used in the industry, and understand the hazards and safety precautions associated with the application of chemicals around structures, in parks, on roadways, and in other areas covered under maintenance agreement
- Able to create and follow a scheduled route, maintain detailed reports on pesticide use, and work independently and efficiently in the absence of an immediate supervisor.
- Have good communication skills and be able to maintain effective working relationships with our other maintenance workers, our customers, and the general public.
- Maintain and make minor repairs to the spray apparatus.
- Able to act as a liaison between crews, vendors, regulators, outside agencies, and customers to ensure compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must posses a positive attitude and contribute positively to a team environment
- Must be able to work outside on a daily basis, to stoop, kneel, crouch, and stand for extended periods of time.
- To walk, lift, push, pull, and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand strength to operate and grasp tools and equipment for extended periods of time.
- To be able to hear and receive verbal detailed information and instruction and to verbally exchange ideas and other information.
- To see with a good field of vision and the ability to distinguish basic colors, and to maintain body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow or slippery surfaces.
- Must be able to read and follow label instructions in English, have the ability to perform mathematical calculations to estimate materials and to calculate the time needed to perform tasks.
- Must know and be able to maintain a knowledge of applicable laws, rules, and regulations governing pesticide applications.
- Must have 2 years field experience in landscape maintenance
- Must have a valid and clean Virginia drivers license.
- Must be able to pass a drug test pre-employment, post accident, and randomly as the company sees fit.
- Must be available for the occasional job that our customers require to be done during other than normal business hours.
- $30K to $45K
- Health, Dental & Life Insurance
- 401K after one year of employment
- Paid Holidays for all employees